Sunday, February 1, 2009

Once again the troops come in last.

Well im sure you all heard about how the ARMY actually made a good decision this time, to give each soldier two beers to drink during the superbowl. Well not us. Yup my command, from my company command on up has allowed this ARMY directive to be circumvented by some bullshit major or other weak minded officer. Well I hope they are happy.
I read an article on ABCnews.com today about how the suicide rates are up in the ARMY. Its pretty clear to me. Take soldiers away from their familes time and time again, run them around without any sense of order or clear mission and take away from them any morale boosters they could possibly have. Pretty easy to me to understand why some soldiers with weaker than average minds would just end it. I mean I am not allowed to play football, but the officers of my battalion can play football. Yup you heard me right our companies officers were ordered to do physical training with the other officers of our battalion, what it consisted of was at its core football. Passing and catching a football. Its soldiers cannot play though.

What hypocrits. Well im sure my commanders have stopped reading my blog by now, but if they still read it. I will say this. The way you handled the order for no beer during the super bowl and the way you handled the leave policy and the way you handle no sports. Well you should be ashamed of yourselfs. The way you handle bad news is to pass it out yourself, you get people together you tell the group you explain the situation, you let the soldiers bitch to you so they can see you care. My superior officers.......scratch that those officers appointed over me, lets say that, nothing about my command is superior to anything or anyone. I have spoken to so many soldiers on these issues and we all seem to agree things could have been handled differently from the start. At least they could have the balls to explain the situation and the orders to the soldiers. But that would "make sense" and the ARMY has stopped doing that a long time ago. Im proud of my service and proud of what I have done in my time. I will not re-enlist and this deployment is to blame. If i were weaker I am sure I would have thought of just ending it all as so many soldiers do. Maybe a command will take a long hard look at this situation and how the troops respond to them, maybe they will see how the way they mishandle these important situation overshadow any good things they could possibly provide.
Maybe im a disgruntled employee, if so then people should disregard my words. Or maybe im right and people should understand what I say. Either way I dont care what they think, I have less than 6 months here and im counting the days.

2 comments:

N. Buck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
N. Buck said...

Hey bro, you sure can rant!
What stood out to me is that you cant play sports. Why? Its physical exercise and its so much fun. Thats like taking sled riding away from a 4 year old. I would think that sports alone would boost morale a great deal. Oh well, just roll with it. You will be home and back to "normal" before you know it. STAY SAFE

Love,
Troy Polamalu