Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bueller...Bueller....Bueller


So today was a sort of day off. WOW the first real day off since i got to Iraq. It came with surprise, but we made the most of it. Today Soap and I were as productive as we ever could be. We recieved our pantry and with that we organized and expanded our food area. We bought a TV and used our insider information to recieve a converter and power strips (220) so we can create a astehtic, safe living area, when it comes to power cords running all over the place. I helped my soldier, SPC. Helm clean out our truck and PMCS it. He and I also organized all of our truck equipment to create a more squared away apperance. Soap and I also ran AFN, or Armed Forces Network, the ARMY version of television in our CHU. So now we have a TV, we also hooked up the XBOX we were given by a fellow soldier that had two. One thing we lack is a DVD player that has A/V output but we are doing fine without. We recently cleaned our CHU, which we like to do regularly. We will also be making our regular trip to the post gym tonight. I would say today was what we needed. Oh we also dropped off laundry and I was able to change the sheets on my bed and drop them off to be laundred as well.

I tend to think the ARMY believes its soldiers will, when presented with a day off, spend it lying around doing nothing productive and basically waste the day. Which is why I believe our horrible command gives us so few days off. Well without trying to prove anyone wrong, I feel that my day was my most effecient day in Iraq.

1 comment:

KB said...

Hi John,
Aunt K here. Great to see pix of your Chuome (CHU home). Maybe your carpenter friend can detour here with you--actually all are welcome. We are getting very good at digging mini trenches for all the rain. (We live halfway down a hill and we seem to get a lot of rain). There were three sunny days and guys in fields around us were up before dawn and working into the night (even on Sunday and on the Armistice holiday yesterday) to harvest the corn. It is used for biofuel and for animal feed--not for eating! Huge loads were going by, trucks so overloaded they could barely make it up the hill.
I thought it was silly that you guys have to travel around with empty trucks.
I've spend this morning chasing a wine fraud story. It breaks in a German magazine tomorrow. The good thing is most American wine bloggers don't read German (nor do I despite Sister Somebody's efforts at Notre Dame). But I discovered that Google does a better job translating German to French than German to English (why? who knows).
Roger was tasting Beaujolais Nouveau (wine that is released right after harvest, its not great).
I am looking forward to taking the kids while we are home. don't know yet when that will be. But there will be plenty of time for Jessica.
With Sara's kids now 5 and 9, I do know that it gets better.
Calm and love
k