Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Last month

Okay, so its this month that i leave. Yes July is finally here. That is both good and bad. Good because i can finally start the preparations that have been eating at me. Bad because well that means each day is another day closer to that big jet plane. Yeah they song leaving on a jet plane, or big ol' jet air liner, what ever you choose yeah i listen to them all. Its weird all i want is to leave and get things over with and all everyone else wants is for me to never leave. I guess a big part of me wants to finish what i started last time. A big part of me wants to get the fight on again and kick some butt. A big part of me wants to do what i have been training for for the last ten years. I want to do my job and complete my mission. No matter what happens i have chosen this life and i don't regret any of it. I know it is horrible to be away from your family and the chance that i might not come home alive is always there but i feel the best when i can say i am a soldier in the United States ARMY. When asked i will stand on the wall and defend against all enemies forgein and domestic. Yeah if you think about it soldiers don't care why they fight, if America had to fight a war against Canada for maple syrup or whatever i would do what i was ordered to do. When things break down like that this war makes much more sense. We elect these people to office meaning we trust their judgement and we gave them the power to send us to war. Why do we then complain about the choice they make? I am a soldier and a father and a husband but only one of those is at the will of someone else. I choose to be soldier to follow orders without hesitation for reasons that might object with my own beliefs or reservations. I hope i come home unharmed but i would rather if something were to happen that it happen to me instead of my soldiers. I take 10 or so people to war ages ranging from 21 to 45. I am expected to bring each home in one piece. Its a huge task when a man steps back and looks at the task as it applies to life. During this next year these grown men and women will look to me to make decisions that could get them home or get them killed. I trust in my training i trust in my experience. I trust that God, man, and all those in between have given me the skills i need to be the great leader these soldiers deserve. I hear "but your only in the reserves" or " your not infantry" Well that may be true but the enemy doesn't discriminate who they kill by branch of service or MOS. The terrorist kill Americans. All Americans. I seem to keep babbling on here not really having a point to this post. i guess i just need a sounding board to get these things off my chest. I hope this last month is the best i can make it. I am going camping, having a big party, spending time with my friends and family. Please if you support the troops make that magnet on your bumper more than just an after thought. Support the troops actively. Vote for who you truly feel will do the best for the whole country. That includes those of us who are called day and night to defect the country. Keep in mind as you go to the polls that the job of the president is to be our commander and chief. That job should not be taken lightly. This person has the ability to send our men and women across the world to fight and die for his will if he so chooses. Please make sure when you vote this man you vote for has worn the uniform before. That will be the only way you know that when a soldier goes to a forgein land and dies, it is not in vain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Shamus! And thank you for posting all the pictures, my husband Michael (MSgt USAF Retired)
and I have really enjoyed them and have been praying for you and your family. We will continue to do so. God Bless...by the way...how would one get an address so as to help out with that list HMMMM, heres an email you can send an address too, if you wish. godplezur at aol dot com I know that will take a leap of faith, but if you have a better idea, let us know :o)- Rachele