Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lets change gears

Okay, so I know it has been forever since i have posted and for those of you that followed my blog im sorry to have left such a void in your life. To those of you who barely read my blog and only enjoyed my witty comments directed at hapless leadership, well you might enjoy the direction im going to take now.

For some time now 7MONTHS, I have been training in the mixed martial arts! Yes yes to those of you who are unfamiliar or under educated in the combat sports, MMA is type of fighting used in the UFC. No I am not in the UFC. NO i do not fight every day. Mostly I train in Muay Thai or Thai boxing, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Yes sometimes I spar with other people. Yes i punch and kick them and yes they do the same to me. So I am pretty sure if peaked some interest at least in my families eyes. Well im actually pretty good at what im doing. At least im good for only having formal training for 7 months. I have not competed, had a fight, yet. I want to and we have tried to get me on fight cards but to no avial. That doesnt bother me too much. I am pretty content to train and get better each day i do. This is something i truly love to do. It is fun for me to test my abilites against other men and to push myself past my limits.

I train at the OhioMMA academy. www.ohiomma.com This is the gym of former UFC and current Strikeforce fighter Jorge Gurgel. Former UFC Middleweight champ Rich Franklin also trains there and UFC welterweight Dustin Hazelett. I do not boast that i am training with these men, I am simply stating that I have trained on the same mat at the same time and every so often in direct connection with these fighters. If anyone has questions as to who these men are or what happens at the gym please ask or go to the website.

My goals in MMA are not to make it to the UFC, im turning 30 this year and I have no real pedigree to speak of. Im not a college wrestler or world class BJJ practioner. I am a simple man who enjoys learing all he can about mixed martial arts. I have had some amazing coaches in the past few months that have directly impacted my life and my fight game. Im in the best shape of my life despite often having black eyes(Irish sunglasses), a busted nose or fat lip. I have never been as strong or as well conditioned. The ARMY has never pushed my body this far. My real goal here is to become the best FIGHTER I can be and to test myself once or twice in the ring/cage.

In the following posts i hope to chronical my quest for new levels of fitness and ability. I will talk abotu gym issues and the time my training has taken from my family, which truly isnt much since most of my time is spent during my lunch time from work. If you have questions, about anything at all, the training, the gym, fighting, please leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: